If you’ve recently started a farm or ranch, you might be asking yourself how do I sell all of this stuff!? Farmers markets are a great way to meet customers, turn those customers into fans and earn money. But, before you try to do any of that, you need to get some basic things done.
How can you get into a farmers market?
- Contact the head of your local farmers market and find out if they are taking new vendors
- Most markets will have a short application, fill this out
- Many but not all farmers markets collect all taxes on a monthly basis, this saves you time and stress
- Ask yourself if you have enough product to fulfill a weekly demand
Once you’ve thought about these issues, you might be asking yourself what you will need to bring with you to the market. Here is a list of some of those items.
- A tent. Some markets might require a certain color tent, check with the person who runs the market. Tents can be found at local sporting goods stores. Here is what they look like.
- Folding tables. How many and what damson depends on what you sell. I have experience selling beef, so we only use two tables. Vegetable growers might need multiple tents and tables.
- A way to transport all your stuff. A truck? A van? A trailer?
- Cash box with change
- Calculator to calculate multiple orders and items
- Weights for your tent so it doesn’t blow away!
- Positive attitude and smiling face
- Table cloths for your tables, and brochures with info about your products and their benefits
- A sign or chalkboard with an items list and prices
- A sign to put on the front of your table/tent
- A few extra (gasp!) plastic bags for people to take home all of your wonderful product
- Chair or stool for yourself – be sure to stand most of the time, having two+ people helps, one can sit, one can sell
Well, this is by no means an exhaustive list, but it will give you a start and encourage you to think about some things.
What do you all take to farmers markets? I would love to hear about some creative marketing or comfort items!